Monday, November 20, 2006

I, For One, Am Not In Love With This Idea

Rep. Frank offers business a 'grand bargain'
Reduced regulations for more job benefits
By Michael Kranish and Ross Kerber, Globe Staff November 19, 2006

The Money quote:

Frank casts his proposal as a way for capitalists to quell some of the populist fervor that was expressed in last week's election, when many Democrats vowed to crack down on companies moving jobs overseas.
"I'm a capitalist, and that means I'm for inequality," Frank told Boston business leaders on the morning after Election Day, in a speech about his grand bargain. "But you reach a point where you get more inequality than is healthy, and I believe we're at that point.
"What we want to do is to look at public policies that'll get some bigger share of the increased wealth into wages, and in return you'll see Democrats as internationalists. . .. I really urge the business community to join us."

Is there anyone else feeling a little betrayed by our "hyar-come-de-new-bahss-jus'-lahk-de-ol'-bahss" "New Democratic" approach to populism? Did I hear somebody say: "There's not a nickel's worth of difference between 'em?"

No comments: