Thursday, November 30, 2006

On the passing of a furry friend

Not 0ne of mine, I hasten to add: A correspondent over at Eschaton, nymed Troutski, is preparing to help his old friend, Alpha Annie, 'the queen of border collies,' pass on to the next pasture.

Another (compassionate) commentor there posted the following poetic tribute, which has made my eyes fill up and well over:

The House Dog's Grave (Haig, an English bulldog)

I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now
Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
Except in a kind of dream; and you, if you dream a moment,
You see me there.

So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
The marks of my drinking-pan.

I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
On the warm stone,
Nor at the foot of your bed; no, all the night through
I lie alone.

But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
And where you sit to read--and I fear often grieving for me--
Every night your lamplight lies on my place.

You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard
To think of you ever dying
A little dog would get tired, living so long.
I hope than when you are lying

Under the ground like me your lives will appear
As good and joyful as mine.

No, dear, that's too much hope: you are not so well cared for
As I have been.
And never have known the passionate undivided
Fidelities that I knew.
Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided. . . .

But to me you were true.

You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
I loved you well, and was loved.
Deep love endures
To the end and far past the end.
If this is my end,

I am not lonely.
I am not afraid. I am still yours.

Robinson Jeffers, 1941


jus' flat tears me up; makes me weep like a baby...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in hope of one day being as good a person to the rest of humanity as any of my dogs have been to me.

Anonymous said...

oh ...yea too too true
katie your pal

Anonymous said...

Although an atheist, I do have a favorite prayer. "Dear God, help me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."


JayinABQ

Anonymous said...

Oh, shit. I hate crying, coz my sinuses get all messed up and I get a sinus headache. But, that is one beautiful poem. For any animal.
jawbone

Anonymous said...

I want my Peace Pop! There's too much war going on out there. If I don't get my peace pop tomorrow, I'm gonna lose my temper! I will bang on my keyboard until my keys don't work.